- Gery Woelfel writes the Awvee Storey signing is close to being done. Of course, most of us heard last week that the Bucks were close to signing Storey, but perhaps not surprisingly it took almost a week to get into the "real" press. Fortunately being a real journalist Gery did manage to get some quotes from agent Mark Bartelstein:
“He really enjoyed the summer league with the Bucks,’’ Bartelstein said. “He liked his teammates and coaches and felt comfortable being around them.’’Storey, 30, is a veteran journeyman. He had brief stints in the NBA with New Jersey in 2004-05 and with Washington in 2005-06. Last season, Storey played with the Dakota Wizards before being suspended and then dismissed from NBDL after punching teammate Martynas Andriuskevicius in practice.
The7-foot Andriuskevicius suffered a skull fracture and concussion and was placed in intensive care in a Bismarck, N.D. hospital.
“It was really unfortunate,’’ Bartelstein said. “It was a reaction type of thing. He reacted at the moment. He felt terrible. He was very, very remorseful.’’
Bartelstein, who represents a slew of NBA players with top-notch reputations, said Storey’s punch was totally out of character.“He is as good of kid as you’ll find; he’s a terrific person,’’ Bartelstein said of Storey, who wound up playing last season in Germany. “I would stand behind him any day of the week. He’s right there at the top with any of my guys as a good person.’’
His deal would be for the minimum, which for Storey will be $770k in 07/08 and, assuming the original suggestion of an 08/09 team option, $826k in 08/09.
- Woelfel also talks about the Charlie Bell negotiations
Bartelstein said there weren’t any new developments concerning Bell ’s situation. However, he wouldn’t disclose whether Bell , a restricted free agent, had received an offer sheet from another team. Bell is regarded as one of the best guards still available in free agency.Of course, Woelfel's phrasing is a little screwy, because it makes it sound as though "receiving" an offer sheet is the same as actually signing one. While they may not want to talk about whether Bell has actually received an offer sheet, if Bell actually signs an offer sheet you'll be sure to hear about it.
“I don’t want to get into that,’’ Bartelstein said.
If Bell received an offer sheet from another team, the Bucks would have one week in which to match it and retain his services.
- Charles Gardner also chimes in on the Bell negotiations. With the Celtics signing Eddie House it would appear another team can be crossed off the list of potential Bell suitors. Alex Boeder has some more commentary as well.
- Bucks Diary looks at the latest statistical evidence showing the Bucks were really, really bad defenders last year.
- Lots of people at the JS are getting in on the Yi situation, and now Vikki Ortiz is laying out the benefits of being Asian in Milwaukee.