Monday, June 18, 2007

Mike Conley Workout

As Chuck Gardner writes, Mike Conley's workout went very well this morning. While Conley catches a lot of flak for his outside shot, his excellent in-between game shouldn't be overlooked. While he only shot 30% from three, he still managed a terrific 52% overall thanks to his ability to use both hands:

Conley is truly ambidextrous but decided he would be a left-handed shooter as a youngster.

"I just started shooting left when I was little for some reason," Conley said. "I never shot a shot right-handed until I was probably eighth or ninth grade. And when I shot it right-handed, I found out I was shooting better.

"I was, 'Wow, I didn't know I could do this.'"

Conley showed he could sink right-handed runners during the workout, but he said he is sticking primarily with his left hand.

He said he seriously considered switching to his right hand during his freshman year in high school. He had injured his left hand, and in a tournament he was 90% from the free throw line and sank 5 threes in the championship game, all with his right hand.

"I was like, no, I've got to stick to my left hand," Conley said. "I felt like it was too late. Now I just try to shoot right-handed inside the paint a lot and shoot left-handed outside."
Bucks.com now has a helpful Draft Central page with the official workout schedule and player highlights.

No comments: