- The Bucks want fans to take a shot at their own version of the "Where Amazing Happens" series of commercials. Last week I posted a really good example someone did. To submit your entry, join this YouTube group and upload your entry.
- Don Walker at the JS writes about Yi the brand.
Chen is a part of a 10-person Yi team at William Morris that is helping Yi as he begins his new basketball life.
Historically, William Morris has managed the careers of movie stars and literary lions. But now the company is taking measured steps into the sports world, and has begun to shape the careers of such well-known athletes as tennis star Serena Williams, Kevin Garnett of the Boston Celtics, professional golfer Michelle Wie and NASCAR driver Pablo Montoya.
And now they have Yi.
"If he plays well and he is as big a star as we think he will be, he will have a marketing career, a diverse business," says Jill Smoller, the head of the sports marketing team at William Morris. "We're going to have a great long-term strategy for him and put him in line with blue-chip companies in long-term relationships. He needs to perform as he performed before on the court and the rest will take care of itself."
- Alex at Boeder Bucks found an interesting comment from Redd in a HoopsWorld interview.
"Weakness? Obviously, I think our offense still needs a lot of work. We haven't put all of our sets in yet, so we're still working on our offense. Playing hard and playing defense will cover up the offense on a lot of nights."
Well, okay. There have been some offensively challenged preseason games to be sure, but that’s definitely a new take on Bucks basketball. Here’s to hoping that the offense is indeed the team’s biggest worry.
- Gery Woelfel has posted his 07/08 predictions over at HoopsHype. He has the Bucks finishing 7th in the East, but that's nowhere near as surprising as his finals pick: Denver over Washington. Not sure if his relationship with Wiz GM Ernie Grunfeld or Nuggets coach George Karl (his pick for COTY) might have influenced that. He picks Bogut to make the all-star team and Yi to make the all-rookie team.
- USA Today sounds pretty optimistic about the Bucks.
- Free Darko posted 07/08 predictions for every NBA player (except Jake Voskuhl apparently). Here are their Bucks' predictions:
- Bell, Charlie: Commutes from the continent
- Bogut, Andrew: I hope it's bad, whatever it is
- Gadzuric, Dan: Decides to grow dreadlocks
- Ivey, Royal: Will turn to Yi Jianlian and say, "Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy... the FEAR to attack. And so, because of the automated and irrevocable decision-making process, which rules out human meddling, the Doomsday machine is terrifying and simple to understand... and completely credible and convincing."
- Mason, Desmond: Senator Kohl buys one of his paintings
- Noel, David: Overheard telling someone that Desmond Mason is "a deep cat"
- Redd, Michael: converts to Judaism.
- Ruffin, Michael: wows President Bush with a hilarious Borat impression.
- Sessions, Ramon: secret weapon.
- Simmons, Bobby: helps himself to another Powerbar
- Storey, Awvee: is going to be a star in this league.
- Villanueva, Charlie: Takes league-mandated Lamar Odom lessons
- Williams, Maurice: plays in Israel, nobody notices.
- Yi Jianlian: installs multiple mirrors in his house to give the illusion that Milwaukee's Chinese population is rising.