Monday, October 29, 2007

Tuesday Bucks Notes


Bjorn Borg = Huge Bucks fan. Gary Dineen/NBAE/Getty Images

  • The Bucks will carry the maximum 15 players at the start of the season. Ramon Sessions will head down to the D-League at some point.
  • I wrote in more detail below on the decision to start Mason and Yi at the forward spots, but Tom Enlund has a full write-up now at JS as well. Given the meritocratic tone of Krystkowiak's first camp, it's not surprising he's downplaying the significance of the announcement.

    "I remember playing," Krystkowiak said. "So I understand the starting talk. But the five starters don't mean they're our best five players. It's not a horse race to see which guy started, which guy had the most effective preseason. There's been hundreds of cases where a guy just makes sense to get out there and start.

    "Just because we picked our five starters doesn't mean everybody else is subject to the bench and will never have a crack (at starting). We'll find five guys to finish games also and that would be a statistic that I would like to look at at the end of the year. Not how many starts you got but who was on the floor to finish games."

    "There's no reason it has to stay the same," he said. "It doesn't have to be the same starters if we stay healthy for 82 games. It can be matchup situations with the other team, too."

  • The Bucks players voted Mo Williams, Michael Redd and Desmond Mason as captains for 07/08. The only difference from last year is Mason rather than Bogut, which isn't all that surprising when you consider it was a player vote. Mo and Redd are known to be popular, and Mason was a captain before being traded in 2005.
  • Credit to ESPN's Chris Broussard for actually coming to Milwaukee to watch the Bucks' practice. His latest blog entry is largely about LK's decision to break from tradition and open entire practices to the media, but he also reserves praise for Yi:
    One thing I learned from watching the Bucks practice is that Yi Jianlian is going to be nice. In fact, he's already nice. Athletic, skilled and a heck of a shooter, he has the look of a future star. He runs the floor well and can go by guys off the dribble. He will probably start at power forward this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a 20-point scorer in a few seasons.
  • Alex at Boeder Bucks takes a look at the Bucks' adjusted +/- stats. Mike Redd and Charlie V are good; Desmond Mason not so much. Alex also has stuff on Bucks' odds for 07/08. I'll take the over on 35.5 wins all day.
  • Brett at The Bratwurst has a comprehensive look at the Bucks' roster.
  • Ty at the Bucks Diary is really excited about the Bucks. Except, like, the opposite.
  • Charles Gardner provides some good quotes from the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce luncheon.

    "Getting torched by Michael Redd every day in practice kind of helps." - David Noel.

    "I wish I knew I was coming back. I wouldn't have sold my house." - Desmond Mason.

    "I'm bringing my bowling ball and my shoes. I'm ready." - Royal Ivey, avid bowler.

    "Every day I'm trying to make it (Milwaukee) more my home. The people are very friendly." - Yi Jianlian.

    "The first thing I'm learning is to stay away from Royal in practice. All my injuries are coming from him." - Mo Williams.

No comments: